I am making an exception for Ferguson posts, but I am still on hiatus. Please do not send me ANY mail here. It will be deleted.
- Mod D.
Can deployed by police when they fired whatever it is they fired tonight pic.twitter.com/hQ5aSkFTRm
(Picture is of someone holding a “Han-Ball™ Grenade - CS”. It is a black object with a round body.)]
[Tweet by Wesley Lowery @WesleyLowery on 16 Aug 2014, 12:11 AM:
Protesters plea with press to stay, document. Worried police might open fire pic.twitter.com/5rWI8LrilH
(Picture shows protesters, a number of them have their hands up. Three of them are wearing t-shirts that say “Stop killing us.”. One is holding up a sign; the text is not legible)]
Looter just threatened to pull knife on leduff and I outside of Sam’s Market by friend of punk white kid]
There are literally two while makes, with covered faces, threatening reporters
(“while makes” = White males)]
MO State Police allegedly told managers at almost-looted beauty shop “it’s out of our hands.” Have not come to collect surveillance video]
The looting sounds pre-planned. Beauty shop managers say tons of strange men came in store “comparing prices” on prices during day yesterday]
[Tweets by Wesley Lowery @WesleyLowery on 16 Aug 2014.
Current CNN guest vocalizing theory held by many on the ground: that Ron Johnson is a figurehead, being set up to fail & has no real power
Primary piece of evidence ppl cite for that is this: Johnson not consulted on release of officer name/robbery video.]
Please note that these are, of course, not the only tweets made by Wesley Lowery on August 16th. These are just tweets I have seen passed around on tumblr as screencaps. It is likely that this is an incomplete collection; any additions are welcome, whether through submitting or reblogging.
Chief Jackson: When the officer stopped Michael brown he was NOT aware that Michael Brown was a robbery suspect]
[Tweets by Wesley Lowery @WesleyLowery on 15 Aug 2014.
The reason Michael Brown was stopped initially was cause he was walking down the “middle of the street blocking traffic.”
Context for those of you not here: street where Brown was killed is a residential side street, as opposed to major roadway.]
Officers telling protesters they must back up/return to homes or else they’ll be arrested]
Smell of smoke in the air. Officers replied something - my guess smoke bomb, not tear gas (not stinging) - about 30 mins ago per residents.]
Cops nowhere near. Crowd policing ITSELF. Community leaders and NIO/Panthers PREVENTING LOOTING.
(That should say NOI, for Nation of Islam)]
"Ain’t nobody going in this motherfucker, bro" - resident guarding beauty store
(Picture shows three Ferguson residents standing in front of the beauty store door. Two of them have their arms folded; third’s arms are not visible. Resident in front (assumed speaker in this case) is shirtless, and has their arms folded. Resident next to them also has arms folded. Third resident’s body not visible) ]
The majority of those looting are drunk kids]
Attempt to loot store that Michael Brown allegedly stole from stopped by community members]
Hundreds in the streets. Only a few dozen attempting to loot. Dozens more physically trying to prevent]
Also being protected by line of community members: McDonalds
(Picture shows residents protecting McDonald’s, picture is shot from a slight distance and from the side. They are on the sidewalk and some are slightly beyond it, in the street)]
punk white kid from Monday night is back. Watched him chase off a cameraman, threatened me with a rock]
These are all the Wesley Lowery tweets I have for the 15th, pulled from mostly tumblr posts. If you have any, please send those posts my way!
I need your help. I’m attempting to gather as much evidence as possible here, so I may document it in case it is deleted. I have nearly completed one transcript (with help) from an eyewitness to Michael Brown’s murder, and if you know of any other videos or screencaps I should be doing transcripts/descriptions of, please let me know. I know I can grab YouTube videos and videos posted on tumblr, but I’m not sure about videos posted elsewhere.
I would also like help doing those video transcripts and descriptions. Transcripts for videos not made with a large audience in mind are much harder to do, as people are far less likely to be speaking slowly and clearly. And honestly, this is so draining and upsetting that I will almost certainly be unable to go through all of them quickly. If you’re willing to help, please send me a message. If you have any links for me, you can share them through the reblogs, or submit them here.
- Donate money to have those arrested in Ferguson released on bail. These people belong on the streets, especially at a time like this.
- Send a note of condolence to the family of Michael Brown. Let’s not forget the tragedy that started this.
- Donate to the Michael Brown Memorial Fund. This is an official fundraiser run by the Brown family’s lawyers. They are going through so much, lets make sure at the very least it isn’t a financial burden.
- Help get people on the ground. There are activists and reporters who want to do their part and get to Ferguson. Donate and get them there. I am so far aware of Zellie Imani, Zak Jemmott, and JR Valrey (a reporter for SF Bay View).
- Donate to the Ferguson Youth Initiative.The children of this community deserve better than to be gunned down. Make sure they get that in the future.
- Feed the children of Ferguson. Many children in America rely on school to get their meals and thanks to the civil unrest caused by the police, the children of Ferguson have been without school since Monday. These people want to make sure that doesn’t mean anyone is going hungry.
- Find a National Moment of Silence in your area. If one doesn’t exist, start one. Share this experience with others. Solidarity is important.
- Keep awareness up. Not just among the like-minded people on tumblr, this is something everyone needs to be aware of.
- Spread accurate information. There is a lot of distortion going on here and spreading every piece of information as it is reported only makes that worse. First and foremost make sure you are listening carefully, then share what is important and relevant.
If you are aware of any good causes or ways to help that I have missed, please reblog and add them.
Breaking hiatus briefly to bring you this.
- Mod D.
The other mod may come by, but we’re likely just going to be closed for at least two weeks.
Please don’t send anything through fanmail.
- Mod D.
[Sign that says, “Due to a shortage of robots, some of our staff are human and therefore react unpredictably when abused or under pressure.”]
I WANT THIS AT WORK
You may not think this is relevant
But believe me, it’s relevant.
- Mod D.
bihet? must be a nifty new way of referring to a pair of heterosexuals.
because i know you wouldn’t flippantly invalidate the identities of a large swath of the queer community by calling them straight.
Casual ableism thinks that people who don’t make eye contact can’t be trusted.